TOP TEN GIFTS FOR A NEW MUM
Everyone makes such a fuss of a new baby but this week, we’re all about caring for the new mum. Below, in no particular order, are Yippydada’s top ten gifts for a new mum.
1) Manicure: Every mum will tell you that managing a new baby, if you have long nails, can be a nightmare. A manicure is a great way to make sure even short nails are still pretty. Plus mum gets to sit down for ten minutes. Result!
2) The Body Shop Coconut oil or Bio-oil: both products are renowned for making a massive difference to stretch marks. They also give mum an excuse to spend five minutes caring for herself.
3) Hairdressing voucher: yes, new mums may spend a lot of time with their hair tied up in a scrunchie but they will love the indulgence of visiting a salon (as long as you babysit the little one whilst they’re there).
4) Massage: time to relax and de-stress is exactly what every new mum needs.
5) Photo album: new parents usually inundate their friends with photos of their new arrival. Now it’s time to return the favour. Have some printed and either frame them or put them in an album.
6) Food – hamper or meals: eating well is so important but it can slip down the agenda when you’re coping with a new child. Why not send a nice food hamper? Or have a healthy meal delivered?
7) ‘Me’ Time – give the new mum the gift of herself. Commit to spend time with her and encourage her to do what she wants, whether that’s soaking in a bubble bath or chatting non-stop about the wonder of motherhood. Being a new parent can be a lonely and overwhelming time, even for someone surrounded by friends and family, so make sure you give the most precious gift you have: your time.
8) Designer baby changing bag – you may think we, at Yippydada, are biased but a baby changing bag is a necessity whether you’re using disposable or cloth nappies. For example our Buttercup Baby Changing Bag includes a bottle warmer, changing mat and a nylon clothes pouch. All these little details make it easier for a new mum to get organised. Another bonus of having a designer diaper bag is that it feels like an indulgence for mum as well as something practical for baby.
9) Details of local groups: most areas have a wide selection of parent and baby groups from baby massage to Bounce and Rhyme. Research the ones that exist in the new mum’s area and present her with a list of their schedules. Often, new mums are too tired to find out about what’s available but they’ll love the chance to meet other parents.
10) Painting of their new family: We love Buttonbob paintings. Whether you want a portrait in pencil, charcoal, pastel or paint, they create beautiful artworks. All you need to do is email over a photo, select a size and they’ll create a brilliant and unique portrait like the one above..
If you know a new mum, we hope the list has given you some great ideas for a gift.
If you are a new mum, then why not leave the list where your friends, family and partner can see it? You could even circle your favourite.
And, if your new mum days are far behind, which gift would you have preferred when your child was small? Let us know below.