So your changing bag is all packed. You’re dressed and so is your child and it’s time to venture out into the world for a relaxing coffee, tea or fruit juice. Here are some of my favourite coffee shops. The ones where you are almost always guaranteed a smile, wide enough aisles for your pram and diaper bag to fit through and changing areas that would make any designer baby bag feel at home (even one as posh as Yippydada’s Highlander bag!)
- 1. Bean Scene – is my favourite haunt for a refuel. They have a great range of sandwiches, cakes and drinks. There is always lots of space between the tables so it’s easy to manage your pram and, of course, they have spacious changing areas and high chairs too.
2.Patisserie Valerie – for a special occasion, this is the place to be. With gorgeous cakes, sumptuous décor and a friendly attitude, it really is a haven of self-indulgence.
3. Costa – with a great range of fresh fruit and drinks, comfortable sofas and high chairs, Costa is great for a break. Another bonus is that you’re almost guaranteed to have one nearby!
4.The Baby Café – this charitable trust has a range of cafes/drop-in centres across the UK. They’re run in a variety of venues and also offer support to breastfeeding mothers. If you are breastfeeding and feel nervous about doing so in public then the Baby Café is perfect for you.
5. Independents – most cities have independent coffee shops that are the epitome of cool city chic but with cushions, high chairs and toddler friendly areas. Some are even following the Scandinavian trend of hosting parent and baby coffee mornings where you can meet other parents. They’re a Godsend if you’re new to a city and want to make friends.
6. Department Stores – department store cafes are often overlooked but in my experience they have some of the best changing areas and baby facilities that you’re likely to find. Their cafes tend to be quieter than those on the main high street so you won’t disturb anyone if your little angel decides to get vocal!
7.Pret A Manger – known more for their sandwiches than their coffee but they still have that laidback coffee house vibe. If you can find a spacious Pret in the centre of town then you’ll be guaranteed nice food, fresh fruit juice and sandwiches that your child will love to eat
And the best of the rest are:
- 8. Caffe Nero – dated décor but sometimes quieter than the other chains.
- 9. Starbucks – not particularly known for being baby friendly but if you are in a large city then it’s always nice to people watch from the terrace of a Starbucks.
- 10. Café Uno – Italian style but perhaps more for fashionistas than families.
These are just some of my favourites so if you’ve discovered a gem then please sing its praises in the comments section. We promise not to steal your favourite table! Equally if there’s somewhere you always avoid, we’d love to hear about it too.